A dream of whales


On my papa’s birthday, I had a dream of whales. You may know, as soon as we are fully awake, we tend to forget most dream details. So all I can recall is it was basically about quite an old-aged father whale who faced dangerous challenges but fortunately in the end, he overcame everything to live peacefully again. 
(Photo from Pinterest)

The dream was eventful, vivid and sorta emotional. Its sequence of events was more logic than most of what I’ve ever dreamt of, though it was as bizarre as how dreams often are. Visually, what happened was looked through a soft grey filter. Amid vast ocean, cloudy sky above. I remember in the last scene, the whale was relaxing on shore with smiling eyes.

Traditionally, whales are spiritually important for both fishermen and professional seafarers in Vietnam (also in some other countries, I guess). Whales are just amazing creatures, those giant adorable babies, not just for their intelligence and peaceful, loving nature, but also for being so legendary: they are said to help lost ships, guiding them to find a way back home. That explains why in some coastal regions in the central part of the country, they are worshiped by fishing villages.

I don’t know much about dream analysis but the dream, which emerged right on my papa’s birthday, really reminds me of him. As a marine engineer, he’s been spending more than 25 years working to and fro between harbours. Many years ago, when I was a very little child (who liked to draw ships and ocean waves almost all the time), he had to sail to remote Africa and South America, where each voyage could last up to 2 years - 2 years challenging ocean wind and waves without going home. It’s not so hard to imagine the risks...

(Photo from Pinterest)

I’m just always drawn by dreaming topics (that’s why I like to read a bit of Carl Jung’s). And the fact how I intuitively linked to my papa (or something happened. I don’t even know how to refer to) is simply significant to me. And I definitely love whaaales, those giant loving babies.

Comments

Popular Posts